Feather Berkower, a child sexual assault prevention expert talks with me about some of the biggest lessons she's learned from abusers and how we can use this knowledge to prevent our kids from experiencing this kind of trauma. We also discussed what parents should do if their child has already been abused so they can prevent them from being revictimized in the future.
"Are you willing to feel a little uncomfortable, so your children don't have to. Because when we turn our backs to this crime, children pay the price."
WHAT WE TALKED ABOUT:
• How abuse prevention has changed over the last 30 years and what it looks like now
• Feather shared her story for how she got started and why she's so passionate about this work
• We talked about child and parent grooming and what parents need to know from a predator/offender perspective
• What parents who's children have been abuse should do to help empower their children and prevent revictimization
• What she has learned from offenders and what parents should know and do
• How parents should respond to a disclosure from a child
• Feather also shared what is coming up for her in 2021 and how you can work with her to protect your family
ABOUT FEATHER BERKOWER
Feather Berkower, Founder of Parenting Safe Children, is a licensed clinical social worker and holds a Master’s of Social Welfare from the University of California, Berkeley. Feather is one of the nation’s leading experts in child sexual assault prevention. She has dedicated her career — which now spans over three decades — to educating parents and youth professionals on how to make their communities “off limits” to child sexual assault.
Using her community-based approach, she has trained over 150,000 schoolchildren, parents, and youth professionals across the United States.
Feather presents her well-regarded workshop, Parenting Safe Children, in schools, youth organizations, parenting groups, and businesses nation-wide. Now, Feather offers her workshop live via Zoom so people around the world can participate.
Feather co-authored Off Limits: A Parent’s Guide to Keeping Children Safe from Sexual Abuse, a parenting book that will change the way you think about keeping children safe. She also authored Conversation-Starter Cards that accompany Off Limits to help parents get conversations about body safety started with caregivers. They are both available on her website at parentingsafechildren.com.
Feather makes a difficult and sensitive topic less scary, and consistently impresses audiences with her knowledge, commitment, and warmth.
Feather is also available for private consultation at an hourly rate.
CONNECT WITH FEATHER